Small ker forum avatar 17ced3e442

K. E. Rocha : author

Maruh and anfal!!!!!!

I’m so glad you guys are here! I hope you like the website! We’re going to constantly be adding new bear facts, new Ragayo words and new Raymond’s Cooking Show videos. 

Secrets of Bearhaven is my first book and I’m so EXCITED to hear what your favorite scenes, characters and tech stuff in the book are! Feel free to ask questions here – and tell me what you think should happen next :) I’ll be checking back in to see what you all have to say! 

But first, I’m going to ask YOU a question --- Are you reading Secrets of Bearhaven yet??? 

I have to go check on Raymond’s next recipe (look for a new video from him in a couple of weeks!!) but I’m so excited about this Forum! 

haranbranda, 

KER 

PS

There are THREE Ragayo words in my message. You can find the meaning for the first two on the language page… but can anyone guess what “haranbranda” means?? 

• Posted at:

Please tell us why you'd like to report this post

Maruh anbranda!

I like the website, but I haven't started reading the book yet. But I love Raymond's cooking videos and his recipes! Now let's see . . . maybe haranbranda means "Your Friend"? 

• Posted at:

Maruh

I haven't read Secrets of Bearhaven yet but I will try and look for it. I like the website though! I think haranbranda means 'your friend' or something like that. I'm pretty sure it has friend in it! 

Bye for now!   

• Posted at:

The Mysterious Spy

All they know about him is this: 

- He's Australian

- He lives in Australia

- He enjoys reading spy novels

- He goes by many names: The Rich Kid. The Smart One. The Saviour of Earth. Batman 

The Mysterious Spy (aka Xavier)  

You got it! Haranbranda does mean "your friend". Let me know if you think of anything you'd like to see Raymond cook in one of his upcoming videos! 

• Posted at:

Yay! Perhaps Raymond could cook some sort of bread like Banana Bread? Or maybe some sort of crumble or pie?

• Posted at:

That's a great idea. I love banana bread and it would be fun to see how Raymond puts a Bearhaven twist on the recipe! Thanks for the input!!

• Posted at:

You're welcome! :D

• Posted at:

Hi! I haven't read Bearhaven yet, but I hope to at some point. I'm writing several books, and I plan to publish them once they're finished. I keep rewriting the prologue and changing the plot of the book I usually work on. *facepalm* I can't make the prologue and the first POV chapters exciting enough. I want to write the battle scene and all the sad scenes and all the post-battle reunions and reveals about the past of a certain character, but that's later in the book. I usually skip ahead and work on the scenes I'm excited about, but I realized I have to write the prologue first, because that explains everything to the reader (not directly; I almost always use the show-don't-tell method). Do you have any tips for writing an exciting prologue and introduction? I don't want to get to the action and fighting right away, because the way I have the prologue outlined, there's a lot of violence already. I want to give the reader a break, but not make the first few chapters boring.

Haranbranda,

A future author

• Posted at:

Samurai

Trainee Taekwondo Instructor

Training for my black belt

Martial Arts Action Writer

Future Olympian

You are what I believe

I'll live and die for you

This is all that I need

When nothing is real you are my truth

~ Skillet, What I Believe

Hi Tsunamininja5!

Thank you so much for your question. I love hearing from other writers! First of all, congrats on already being hard at work on your books. That’s awesome! I can’t wait to read them one day and hope that I can be helpful to you in the meantime!

So your question was about writing an exciting prologue and introduction. The truth is, I don’t actually write prologues or introductions for my books! I think that it can be a better experience for a reader to dive right into the story, and learn the important information they need as they go.

You mentioned using the show-don’t-tell method to give info to your reader—I would look back through your outlines for your prologue and introduction, and highlight the information you think the reader absolutely must know about the world your book is set in, or the characters they’ll be reading about. THEN see if there are ways in the first few chapters of the book, to slip that information right into the story, using the show-don’t-tell method.

Here’s an example from my book:

In Secrets of Bearhaven, Spencer’s parents founded a safe haven for rescued bears. They did this before Spencer was born, and have been secretly rescuing new bears to bring to Bearhaven for Spencer’s entire life. The reader definitely needs to know a little bit about Bearhaven’s history in order to understand and believe the adventure that Spencer goes on throughout the course of the book.

If I were to write a prologue or an introduction to Secrets of Bearhaven, telling the reader about Bearhaven would be important information to include. Instead, in the first few chapters of the book, Spencer discovers Bearhaven himself, and through the questions he asks other characters, and the observations he makes in Bearhaven, he learns the history, and the reader learns that information along with him.

One of the best parts about reading is learning with characters, discovering new things about them as you follow them through their adventures, and watching them change as people (or bears!). You don’t want to do too much work in a prologue or introduction that might take away from the discoveries that the reader can make throughout the course of your book.

I know this is SUCH A LONG ANSWER!!!!! But I just want to say one more thing!!!

As authors, it’s important for us to know our characters really really really well. The same goes for the world we’re writing about for the character to live in. But you don’t want to overwhelm your reader with too much history or background information before they get to the real heart of your story.

I hope some of this helps! At the end of the day, do what you think is right for the story you want to tell. And keep writing :)

From one author to another, wishing you all the best,

Kristin

• Posted at:

Thank you! :D

• Posted at:

Samurai

Trainee Taekwondo Instructor

Training for my black belt

Martial Arts Action Writer

Future Olympian

You are what I believe

I'll live and die for you

This is all that I need

When nothing is real you are my truth

~ Skillet, What I Believe

Does hanbranda mean bye?

• Posted at:

Maruh Miss Rocha,

I only have the first book of the series but I can tell the rest is going to be awesome. Could you tell me what is the name of the 2nd book? I think the word haranbranda has something to do with friend. 

Thank you so much,

cyclonebull71 

• Posted at:

cyclonebull71

Maruh,

Maybe he he could cook one episode vegetarian? I'm a vegetarian, so I'd love to see it!!

• Posted at:

Beakbear

Nightwing

lucian

bookworm

etcetcetc

Hello, Maruh, etc.

I have not yet read the Bearhaven books, but it is going to be the next series I read! I really LOVE bears, and I think they are deeply misunderstood.

PS My nickname actually is Serahbear...

• Posted at:

Beakbear

Nightwing

lucian

bookworm

etcetcetc